Wednesday, February 2, 2011

[journal 2] ::widget::

"how do you envision discovery learning as a part of your teaching and curriculum?"

I think it is extremely beneficial to the students, when given proper instructions, to explore a topic to create a presentation or report.  When we researched the information about a country in the last class although we were confused on what a "widget" was or should be, we managed to acquire all the necessary and relevant information about the countries we researched.  With only about 2 hours to work on it we came up with extremely creative and persuasive ways to present the information.

I would like to teach third grade, which allows my class to have a little more freedom with what my students are capable of doing.  I could give them a prompt or a checklist of information and send them to the library to either work on the computers or search for books--both needing to have QUALITY information.  This is fun way for my students to learn how to do research while also learning how discern quality information from the "other" information.  My students could compile their new found facts and make a poster, create a report, draw a picture, or create a prop to inform us about the topic that they researched.  I could definitely see myself using a method similar to this in my classroom. 

1 comment: